Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Lil' Tidbits O' Information

First off, the answer to the multiple choice question was E--that's 5/6 who got it right! This AP Exam ain't so hard...

I'm in the process of finding a new question to post, but they're tough to find b/c most have diagrams or are too long for the poll question.

Interesting fact about football and politics...prior to this election, 16 out of 17 times the Washington Redskins won their last game before the election, the incumbent party won the Presidency and stayed in power. This year, the Redskins lost this last game, and in fact the incumbent party lost as well. What do you think of this? There's 17/18 times we see this correlation, so we can probably assume cause, right? So next election, if we want Obama to win, root for Washington.

I also found it extremely interesting that my oil company seemed to have extrapolated when I signed a fixed contract. Huh? Let me clear that up. So back in August, I had to re-sign with my oil company; I got to choose a fixed rate of $3.90 or pay according to the market. Because projections at that time showed crude oil prices to be steadily increasing, I chose the fixed rate. My bad. I assumed the positive correlation would continue, but in fact, gas/oil has now dropped in price. So now I'm paying $3.90 for oil that costs far less. Of course my fixed rate could pay off in the long run if gas rises, but this just goes to show that you can never assume a trend continues in statistics. We never know what outside factors, whether economic, social, political, psychological, etc., will cause that relationship to change.

Way to blow it, math teacher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very intresting info. honestly! Love the cartoon!