Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

READ ALL OF THIS POST! I THINK IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!

Alright, so I have one period of open-ended (free-response) exams left to grade, and I'm feeling the need to take a break and give you the summary. No, I am not only on the last class due to procrastination; actually, for the first time I've been on top of my game. However, I have no-lie spent about 8 hours so far grading 60 tests...I'm not trying to boast, I just want you guys to know that I have the same commitment to our class that I expect from you. Remember, in this AP environment we're a team, working to collectively beat that evil AP monster. After test one, here's what I'm feeling...

First off, the most important thing for you to remember is that the exams are tough. Every single question you answered, multiple choice or free-response, came from a past AP exam, so you're working at a high level of difficulty. Not only do I think this challenge will overall help you grow statistically, but I think the familiarity of the AP exam format will serve as an incredible aid come May 6th. Given the rigor of these tests, you may not receive grades you're used too--if you scored an 8/12 (24/36) on this exam, I'd say that's extremely impressive. Further, you'll have plenty of opportunity to make up the extra points to get you to "A" territory. Remember what else I told you--I'm not here to give you all grades, I'm here to teach you statistics. Whatever it takes, as long as you learn the content, I'm happy (whether it's the first try or not).

On that note, tomorrow (for periods E,F) we'll have the opportunity to earn back some points (not sure exactly how many yet, at most 12). You'll have the entire shortened period to annihilate a few AP questions--only a perfect answer gets full credit. As you saw before, if you'd like to study a little for the test, check out the following:
  • Comparing distributions--SOCS
  • How shape (skewed, symmetric) affects the mean in relation to the median
  • What does it mean for two things to be associated?
  • Whenever asked to find a proportion above/below/in between, remember we use the z-table.

Overall, I'm feeling very confident after test one. The scores could ideally have been higher, but no matter what happens, all of us can always do better. You all showed a lot of potential, and with some practice, I think we have many students capable of achieving 3's, 4's, and 5's. I liked what I saw in much of your writing, and there were a few tests that simply blew me away. I know I was tough on you after the first section, but I promise that all of that angst solely lies in effort--I can't have people skipping questions. I will always only ask for one thing from you--your 100%, best effort. I have confidence that with this effort, each and every one of you is capable of great things, both in statistics and otherwise.

Finally, I'll begin stepping off my soapbox with some updates:

  • I'll be after school tomorrow, but the b-boy (breakdance) club is meeting. It'll be loud in there, and maybe a little stanky from a bunch of sweaty breakdancers, but I'll be there.
  • THURSDAY I'll be holding a review, focused on the language of statistics. We'll spend the time from 2:20 to 3:30 looking at how questions are worded, and taking some notes about
    "code words" that tell us which statistics we need.
  • And Friday, we'll go over the unit one free response. You'll have the opportunity to take notes on your test for 3 additional points on the exam. If you're absent, we'll have to go over it on your own time, so be there!
  • Finally, next Wed/Thurs David Bock, author of our text, will be in town to spend some time with the class. I'd like you all to have the opportunity to experience a lesson, but we'll see how it goes.

Good luck. See you manana.

Hope those SAT's went well.

No comments: